Parador Earns Three Flags
This year Parador was proud to receive three flags:
- Two 5-Star Green Flags for Sanitary Quality (issued by the Costa Rican Institute of Acueductos y Alcantarillados (AYA), this rating system is similar to the U.S. Health Department’s lettered ranking structure which classifies eateries in the United States) and,
- One Ecological Blue Flag (initiated in France in 1985, the Blue Flag Program was conceived to improve and monitor sustainable development at beaches and marinas through strict criteria dealing with water quality, environmental education and information, environmental management, and safety.)
- Protecting 7 acres of secondary rainforest, preserving the many species of wildlife inhabiting our jungles, never feeding the animals, maintaining a natural balance on our environment.
- The making of our own compost (fertilizer and insecticides for the gardens) using organic waste from the kitchen.
- Energy and water saving programs (through ozone), and controlled water pressure system throughout the hotel.
- Filtering and reusing water for irrigating the gardens.
- Collecting and purifying rainwater for use in different areas.
- Recycling program in all areas (aluminum, paper, glass, and plastic).
- The Recycling of complimentary bath products and other amenities.
- The use of 100% biodegradable soaps and detergents.
- The use of Certified biodegradable cleaning agents.
- Providing an alternative use for materials or equipment once they have fulfilled their basic function, usually donating them to community groups or employees.
- Participating in reforestation and community beach clean-up programs.