Spa 101: How to Spa Like a Pro
These days you can find a spa in the most unlikely places—they even have quick-visit spas at airports! In our corner of Paradise, however, we like to think of our spa as an oasis where time is suspended and everything becomes about you.
We say that at the Pacífica Spa, we can make your stress dissolve like sugar in hot coffee…
If this is your first time visiting a spa, worry not! Many people don’t experience anything like this until they’re on vacation at a great hotel with a spa (yes, like Parador) or they get a gift certificate!
Here are a few tips to help you release any anxiety and truly get the most out of your visit.
- Ask to tour the spa before your appointment. At Pacífica Spa, our goal is to make you feel as comfortable as possible. Please contact us at extension 653 and ask if you can come by for a visit. If we are able—meaning if there are no guests currently enjoying our services—we would be more than happy to take you on a tour of the entire facility. Otherwise, you are welcome to view the reception area and top floor to get an idea of what’s to come.
- When you book your appointment, let us know it’s your first time. Feel free to ask questions. We’re here to help! If you’re not sure which treatment is right for you, please tell us what you would like to achieve (relieve an aching back with a massage, de-stress, get a facial, etc.) and we will be happy to explain our treatments and make suggestions. Our menu is in your hotel room and online: that’s a great place to start!
- On your spa day, we recommend you arrive at least 15 minutes early or more if you’d like to enjoy the plunge pool, Jacuzzi (both with a view of the rainforest) or the steam room. There are also lounge chairs in the wet area, where you can relax while your therapist is preparing for your treatment. We will welcome you with a refreshing spa beverage and show you where our lockers are and how they work. Your locker will have a robe and slippers, clean and ready for you to use. (P.S. If you’re getting a massage, it’s best if you don’t eat a large meal right before.)
- Please feel free to leave your phone in your room or the locker, or place it on “silent” mode; we also encourage our guests to speak softly in order to preserve the serenity of the spa space for you and all of our visitors.
- When your appointment time comes, a therapist will find you and escort you to the treatment room. One of the biggest concerns new spa guests have is whether to disrobe completely or not for a massage. This is entirely up to you and, of course, depends on the treatment of choice. Please know your modesty is always preserved during any kind of massage. If this is outside of your comfort zone, there are many other options where you can remain fully clothed, including facials, manicures, pedicures and our famous Fatigued Foot Treatment With Reflexology.
- If you are getting a massage, the therapist will instruct you which way to lie down on the table and leave the room. Hang your robe on the hook and get underneath the sheet or towels. Again, take off only as much clothing as you are comfortable removing and will allow the massage therapist to touch and work on the areas of your body you expect to be massaged. The therapist will knock before entering to ensure you are ready.
- We will have asked you to fill out a questionnaire upon your arrival at the spa; please make sure you point out your expectations, any pain or discomfort you are suffering, and any allergies.
- The cardinal rule of a massage or body treatment is… Relax and enjoy! Close your eyes and let your body and spirit be transported. Remember the therapist will ensure your modesty at all times, keeping your body draped with the sheet or towels and only uncovering the areas that are being treated.
- Breathe normally—this will help in your relaxation. If the therapist is massaging a particularly sensitive or tender area, don’t hold your breath. It will make you tense and contracting your muscles is counterproductive to the massage.
- After the session, the therapist will leave so you can dress. Don’t get up too quickly—take your time. We are in no hurry! We encourage you to put on your robe and allow the therapist will lead you back to the lounge area by the Jacuzzi to indulge yourself in some extra “me” time, meditate a little and let the experience sink in. We will have a cool beverage and fresh fruit waiting for you.
- Remember to drink extra water on the day of your massage.
We hope your visit to the Pacífica Spa is everything you could have ever wished for in a spa experience—especially if this is your first time. Think of us as your oasis of wellness and serenity, one you can return to as often as you wish.